Kriza Calumba is an assistant professor of the Department of Food Science and Chemistry at the University of the Philippines Mindanao. She previously received a Fulbright-CHED scholarship, which allowed her to pursue Master’s studies at Louisiana State University, USA. Her Master’s research was on beer with probiotic bacteria immobilised in durian rind powder. With her interest in probiotics, she also recently opened a probiotic bubble tea business in Davao City, Philippines. She is looking forward to communicating food science to more people as well as providing more health-promoting food options to the general public.
In our conversation, we talk about probiotic durian beer, food science, and bubble tea.
Watch on YouTube
Listen to the Podcast
Listen on Vurbl, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Goodpods, Overcast, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic, TuneIn, Blubrry, Digital Podcast, Gaana, Podcast Addict, Podchaser, Podhero, PlayerFM, JioSaavn, RSS, and other podcast platforms.
[01:00] Kriza’s interest in Food and Nutrition Sciences.
[01:53] Pursuing a career in academia.
[02:18] Kriza’s focus on probiotics and her Masters research.
[03:06] The untapped potential of probiotics.
[03:42] Exploration of non-dairy probiotic options.
[04:35] Kriza’s research using durian rind to develop probiotic beer.
[05:55] Trying her hand at homebrew.
[07:13] Learning that durian rind had a preservative effect on bacteria.
[08:28] The wives’ tale about consumption of durian with alcohol.
[09:18] The unexpected popularity of her research.
[10:24] Kriza’s new probiotic bubble tea venture.
[12:08] How probiotics can reduce sugar levels in bubble tea.
[12:53] Juggling an academic career with a startup.
[14:58] Starting a new business during a pandemic.
[16:28] Kriza’s research into indigenous vegetable consumption.
[18:54] The importance of local food industry related research.
[20:29] The affects of globalisation on local diets.
[21:33] Other regional academic efforts in this area.
[21:53] Supporting local through her own business.
[23:02] Bonus Question 1: What hobby or interest do you have that is most unrelated to your field of work?
[25:02] Bonus Question 2: Which childhood book holds the strongest memories for you?
[25:18] “The Purpose Driven Life”.
[26:23] Bonus Question 3: What advice you would give someone who wants to do what you do? Or what advice should they ignore?
[27:41] Reaching out to Kriza.
- University of the Philippines Mindanao
- Probiotics (wiki)
- Lactobacillus (wiki)
- Lactic Acid Bacteria (wiki)
- Louisiana State University
- Irritable Bowl Syndrome (wiki)
- Homebrewing (wiki)
- The Tea Culture PH
- Alugbati (Malabar Spinach) (wiki)
- Teh, S., Rosma, A., Wan Nadiah, W., & Liong, M. (2009). Evaluation of Agrowastes as Immobilizers for Probiotics in Soy Milk. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 57, 10187--98. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf902003a
- Soriano, P., Villame, R., Calumba, K. F., Alviola, J. N., Delima, A. G., Alviola IV, P., & Bayogan, E. R. (2020). Utilization of 'Alugbati' (Basella alba L.) Leaves Powder to Increase Vitamin A Content of Fresh Egg Noodles. Philippine Journal of Science, 149, 273--281. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341999285_Utilization_of_'Alugbati'_Basella_alba_L_Leaves_Powder_to_Increase_Vitamin_A_Content_of_Fresh_Egg_Noodles
- Tocmo, R., Pena-Fronteras, J., Calumba, K. F., Mendoza, M., & Johnson, J. (2020). Valorization of pomelo (Citrus grandis Osbeck) peel: A review of current utilization, phytochemistry, bioactivities, and mechanisms of action. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 19. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12561
- Calumba, Kriza Faye Albacite (2019). Ale Beer Containing Free and Immobilized Lactobacillus brevis, a Potential Delivery System for Probiotics https://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/gradschool_theses/4896
Find out more about Kriza Calumba and their work
- Email: Contact STEAM Powered
- The Tea Culture PH
Connect with Us
Support STEAM Powered
Become a Patron
Buy your books from BookDepository. There are over 20 million titles and you get free delivery worldwide to over 150 countries on every order. Want some ideas? Check out the list of every book mentioned in our conversations, or authored by our guests.
Start your own podcast or YouTube channel, or run panels and seminars with Riverside.fm. Record up to 8 people in a session with up to 1000 audience members. You can record in advance as I do, or you can livestream with the option to send it straight to Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, or Twitch. There's even a green-room for guests and live call in for audience members. Afterwards, get separate video (up to 4K) and audio (up to 48kHz) tracks per recorded participant for editing, none of that “active speaker only” limitation. You know you're in good hands with a service whose client-base includes some heavy-hitters. Check out Riverside.fm to see who else is on board. Use promo code
STEAM25 to get 25% off the first three months of your subscription.
Listen to the Best of STEAM Powered Voices on Vurbl
My curated playlist as Ambassador for Science on Vurbl for fascinating and insightful content from the extended STEAM community.